Want us to help you with anything?
Request a Call back

This field is required Only alphabetes are allowed
This field is required Only alphabetes are allowed
Please enter valid number
Please enter valid email
Please select product type
Please enter valid pincode

Thank you for your request.

Your reference number is CRM

Our executive will contact you shortly


2 mins Read | 4 Years Ago

What is the difference between hazard insurance and homeowners’ insurance


Find out what hazard insurance and a homeowners’ insurance mean and the difference between them.

Did you know that you can purchase an insurance policy for your home? Just like a car insurance covers damages to your car by paying for any repair jobs, a home insurance offers coverage to your home in cases of fires, natural calamities, vandalism and theft. A home insurance policy helps you keep your home secure and ensures that you have a roof over you and your family’s head even when there is structural damage to your house. Home insurance is usually optional, but if you are taking out a loan for your home, then the lender requests a homeowners’ insurance before they approve your loan.

Whenever a home insurance is discussed, there are two terms that always get thrown around a lot. They are, the hazard insurance and the homeowners’ insurance. Let’s take a look at what these two terms mean.

Hazard Insurance

A hazard insurance is a type of insurance that covers your home structure from many different types of hazards, like fires, earthquakes, vandalism, etc. However, a hazard insurance covers damage only to the house, or the structure of the house and not the contents within the house. A hazard insurance is just one part of a comprehensive homeowners’ policy.

Hazard insurance covers:

  • Fire
  • Earthquake
  • Cyclone
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Short circuit and other electrical failures
  • Water damage due to leaky or burst pipes

What is homeowners’ insurance?

A homeowners’ insurance coverage is a comprehensive insurance for your home that covers many areas, hazard insurance being one of them. Usually, money lenders insist on just a hazard insurance since that is what the loan is actually for. One may, however, go for a full homeowners’ insurance if they feel they would like extended protection for their belongings as well.

What does homeowners’ insurance cover?

The types of hazards in insurance of this type is similar to hazard insurance, like structural damage due to fire, earthquakes or explosions. In addition, it also covers:

  • Damages to garments, furniture and artefacts within the insured home
  • Medical bills of injured persons within the insured home at the time of unfortunate calamity or hazard.

The minute details of the hazard, as well as the specific hazards included in your insurance policy will differ from policy to policy. Contact your insurance company and read the terms carefully to see what is included and what is not.

Thus, a homeowners’ insurance policy basically covers your house against structural damage while providing additional coverage for belongings. Most homeowners have a single home insurance policy that also includes a hazard insurance. In some cases, money lenders may ask you to get a supplemental hazard policy if they feel your current homeowners’ policy does not cover some hazards.



The contents of this document are meant merely for information purposes. The information contained herein is subject to updation, completion, revision, verification and amendment and the same may change materially. The information provided herein is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would (by reason of that person‘s nationality, residence or otherwise) be contrary to law or regulation or would subject lClCl Bank or its affiliates to any licensing or registration requirements. This document is not an offer, invitation or solicitation of any kind to buy or sell any security and is not intended to create any rights or obligations. Nothing in this document is intended to constitute legal, tax, securities or investment advice, or opinion regarding the appropriateness of any investment, or a solicitation for any product or service. Please obtain professional legal, tax and other investment advice before making any investment. Any investment decisions that may be made by you shall be at your sole discretion, independent analysis and at your own evaluation of the risks involved. The use of any information set out in this document is entirely at the recipient's own risk. The information set out in this document has been prepared by ICICI Bank based upon projections which have been determined in good faith by lClCl Bank and from sources deemed reliable. There can be no assurance that such projections will prove to be accurate. lClCl Bank does not accept any responsibility for any errors whether caused by negligence or otherwise or for any loss or damage incurred by anyone in reliance on anything set out in this document. The information set out in this document has been prepared by ICICI Bank based upon projections which have been determined in good faith and sources considered reliable by lClCl Bank. In preparing this document we have relied upon and assumed, without independent verification, the accuracy and completeness of all information available from public sources or which was provided to us or which was otherwise reviewed by us. Past performance cannot be a guide to future performance. 'lClCl ' and the 'I-man' logo are the trademarks and property of lCICl Bank. Misuse of any intellectual property, or any other content displayed herein is strictly prohibited.

People who read this also read

View All


View All
2 mins Read | 2 Years Ago
Things to Consider Before Buying Home Insurance
General Insurance

Scroll to top